It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: iPad 2
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:54 am 
Down From Day One

The ANSwer and I got an iPad 2 as an anniversary gift to each other this year (we're romantic like that) and I wanted to share some thoughts about it with the group. First, to get one point out the way, you do not need an iPad. It is essentially duplicative of other technology I have. I can respond to work emails on my Droid 2, access the Internet and take pictures and movies. My iPod has all my music and pictures. My laptop gets me on the system at work and allows me to watch movies on Netflix. I read books on my kindle. The only thing I have with the iPad that I didnt have before is FaceTime.

All that being said, I think the iPad I'd pretty darn cool. It incorporates almost all of the technology listed above into one really slick package. I have all my Alice pictures in one spot and on a beautiful screen; I can also watch movies on Netflix, Skype/FaceTime, take pictures and movies, read books on the the kindle application, and respond to emails. Also, and sadly this was the biggest selling point for me, I can access the server at work via the citrix application, so if needed, I can pull up and revise a document. Although it is not nearly as efficient as my laptop, using the iPad for work is surprisingly effective. The touch keyboard is large enough so that you can actually type without hunting and pecking like I do with my phone or a blackberry (in fact, I am typing this post on the iPad while at a Starbucks waiting for big os to change my tires).

To put it in perspective, last night I visited mom at nanee's (where mom is now recovering) and I was able to show everyone pictures from our Tahoe trip, while listening to John Coltrane and making
Plans for later that night via email.

The only disappointment so far is the 3G service. The model I bought has wireless and 3G access (which you have to pay for). The wireless is great--everything downloads very quicky. The 3G, which I signed up for just for a month so that I could use the iPad at Nanees, was surprisingly slow. I wasnt able to pull up a netflix movie for mom, which was annoying.

Post subject: Re: iPad 2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:54 pm 
NRA Certified Instructor

I feel exactly the same way about my iPad1. Screen is not as good as the iPhone but it is more fun to surf the net in. Mine is not 3G so I need wifi to access the net. Love watching Netflix on it. Good fir biz trips to Las Vegas. Being sober, I tend to spend mist of my nights in my hotel room if I'm not at the club.

Post subject: Re: iPad 2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:18 am 
Down From Day One

A couple of additional thoughts on the iPad. Some of the games are great for Alice. For example, we flew up to Santa Rosa yesteday for a wedding and were able to entertain Alice on the flight for about 20 minutes with some games that Sugar P. recommended. For anyone who's been on a flight with their toddler, that is pretty big.

Also, the 3G is not as bad as I initially thought. It's bailed me out a couple of times for work issues when I didn't have access to wifi. And I signed up for the $20/month plan, so not too expensive, and haven't even come close to using up all the data provided under the $20 plan.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]